Welcome to Alexandra Hospital, Ingersoll. We are proud to offer a full service Emergency Department, with care practices tailored to meet the needs of our community.
Share this Page
Click here to Donate
Hours of Operation
The Emergency Department is available for service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For patient inquiries, and all general information, please call switchboard at (519) 485-1700 extension 0 to be transferred to the Emergency Department.
The Emergency Department is located on the 1st floor.
What to expect when coming to the Emergency Department
- Upon arrival to the Emergency Department, please first proceed to the triage area where you will be assessed by the triage nurse.
- The triage nurse has special training to assess how quickly you need treatment and in which room your care needs will happen.
- The triage nurse will ask you questions about what brought you to the Emergency Department and about your general health.
- The triage nurse will also start the registration process.
- The triage nurse will then ask you to proceed to the registration desk to complete your registration or will send you directly into the Emergency Department.
- Once you are assessed by the triage nurse, you are placed on a waiting list based on the severity of your symptoms.
- The list that you are on is being revised every time another individual comes into the department, so people who have arrived after you may be seen before you.
- We do our best to move patients through the Emergency Department as efficiently as possible.
- It is important to know that things can change quickly in the Emergency Department and your wait time may be affected by those changes.
- Patients requiring the most urgent care must be treated first .The Emergency Department may look quiet when it is actually very busy. Behind closed doors we may be caring for a seriously ill patient who requires a lot of attention from emergency staff.
- There may also be potential waiting periods while we wait for your test results from the laboratory or imaging department.
- Please understand that our intention is to provide you with the most efficient and timely service possible.
- As you wait, a nurse will be nearby to answer your questions and monitor your condition.
- Your patience is appreciated.
The Emergency Team
The Emergency Department Team is made up of experienced physicians, nurses, and clerical staff that provide 24-hour on site coverage.
During your visit, you may also see housekeepers, dietary staff, laboratory staff, as well as students or residents from different health disciplines. Health care professionals-in-training are completing a crucial part of their education, gaining real-life experience with patients. They are always closely supervised according to their level of experience.
What you should bring
- Your Ontario Health Card
- If you live outside of Ontario please bring your medical insurance information
- Your prescription and non-prescription medications including vitamins and herbal remedies
- A supply of your medications in case you have a longer than anticipated wait or need to be admitted to hospital
- Any other important information about allergies or other medical conditions you may have
- Your extended / private health insurance in case you need to be admitted to hospital
Care Partners (Family & Visitors)
Alexandra Hospital, Ingersoll practices family centred care and in the best interest of everyone, we request the following:
- That family follow instructions given by the nurse or physician with regards to limiting the number or visitors and noise level
- That visitors respect the privacy of the other patients and not wander freely through the department
- That families have one person to act as their spokesperson to decrease confusion and make communication between staff and family members easier
- All visitors and patients must abide by our hospital code of conduct. Aggressive behaviors will not be tolerated in our Emergency Department.